Saturday, August 15, 2009

Scales, Sizes and Temptations in the House

A couple of other things to add to the start of this journey. I hate the word journey by the way because it makes me sound like some sort of new age hippy, but a different term doesn't seem to want to come to mind.

First, the dreaded scale. I've found that my bathroom scale has an obnoxious ability to take over my mind. That doesn't seem appropriate for a Christian at all. My day should be ordered to Christ and all things that He loves. My mood should not alter with the numbers on a scale. To that end, I'm going to do something that may provide even more challenge than the South Beach Diet itself. I'm going to weigh myself just once per month. On the 15th of each month, I'll weigh in and record it here.

I weighed in this morning at 158 (same as mentioned yesterday).

What I neglected to mention yesterday is that my current size is 12. I don't prefer it.

As for temptations in the house...oh, dear. I mentioned yesterday that I ate Ben and Jerry's as a last fling before starting SB today. What I neglected to mention was that there was half a carton and whipped cream left over. Starting SB today was difficult with those treats in the house and I succumbed. Also, in a fit of starvation (OK, that might be stretching it) I ate a bowl of vanilla yogurt with Cascadia Farms granola mixed in. So, my first day of South Beach was a somewhat more carby day than I would have preferred. Yet start I have, and will continue to attempt to do better each day.

As for the successes of the day, I drank much more water than normal, walked 20 minutes on the treadmill, and did half of a 30 minute exercise tape. Not great, but better than the lethargic life I've been living.

So, it has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment